Tuesday, December 21, 2010

All good things must come to an end....so they say

The rest of our time in Cape Town was just great. The backpackers/hostel that we stayed at made us feel so comfortable and at home. It was hard to leave! I took the bus from Cape Town to Grahamstown Thursday night and man o man..what an experience that was. Fourteen hours on a bus is just way way way too long. The good news is Leah, April, and I all survived it.

April and Leah left on the seventeenth and eighteenth so I spent my last few days with Debbie and her family at their holiday house in Kleinemonde.

The atmosphere 'at the sea' is just like 'up north' is to us. Debbie's parents stay in the main house and then their is a house next to it which Debbie's brothers family stays in and then behind the main house is a flat where we stayed! It reminded me a lot of Lake Leelanau with the whole family waking up in the morning and deciding whether or not we will have a 'real' breakfast and who is going to make what and where to eat.

I got a chance to waterski...five days before Christmas! We spent most of our time out on the boat and laying in the glorious sun. Kleinemonde is on a river which almost leads straight into the ocean, and has a little peninsula in between another river which people live on as well.  Lots of people holiday there so I was constantly meeting Lauren and Shelley's friends.

Today I began my trek back home. I am currently at the airport in Johannesburg waiting for my flight to Amsterdam. I am so lucky I am not flying into London! I cannot believe two months have gone by and that I am really on my way home! It is hard to imagine since I will not be home until tomorrow night. Today, as I said my goodbyes and packed my bags, the saying "All good things must come to an end" kept running through my head. Whenever I leave a place that I enjoy being at, such as Lake Leelanau or Mackinac Island, I always get so melancholy before I leave. That saying always comes to mind to try and help me look at things opitimistcally, but really why do all good things have to come an end?! So now I am thinking about what comes next and what I can look forward to when I get home!


Thank you all so much for reading and following my adventure in South Africa. I will update one more time when I get home..after my fingers thaw:)

1 comment: